Friday, January 4, 2008

Cold Friday

Good morning to all...it's very cold here in the mountains. I think it might be about 13 degrees as I type this. It is sunny, though, and promises to be a beautiful day. I have to work this afternoon for a bit and also in the morning.

We had a lovely evening yesterday. It was Sam's birthday and we were invited to have dinner with a dear friend of ours. She is in her late 80's but as active if not more so than me! She fixed the best dinner plus a chocolate cake for dessert. I love her for many reasons but a big one is that she's so easy to talk to. She is a deep thinker and she just "gets" things, you know? She and I have had some heart-to-heart talks about things that are troubling each of us and I always go away being so grateful to have her in my life. We've only known each other for two years but we clicked right away. She has helped me as I've transitioned into being a mother-in-law as she has a married son, too, and her insights have really changed my perspective on things. I have learned that it can be different when you are the mother-in-law to a young woman because as much as I love her and have looked forward to having a daughter-in-law, I still will always take a back seat to her mother, and I guess that is how it should be. My daughter-in-law also has all of her grandparents, lots of aunts and uncles, and a huge circle of friends. I've struggled with needing her to need me, if you know what I mean and it came to me several months ago that she really doesn't. I know she cares for me and I'm so grateful that we have a good relationship but I don't think she fully appreciates how much I want to be there for her. She's very young and time as well as motherhood might make her see things differently but for now, I must be patient and allow things to develop naturally. I am very close to my sons and for that, I am most grateful to God. But married son is so busy with school, work, and his new role as a daddy that he and I aren't able to just have leisurely talks like we used to and I do miss that. I kinda feel like I'm out of the loop, sometimes. If anyone has a similar situation that you would like to share with me, I'm all ears, because it does help knowing others that are going through the same struggles.

I wish you all a very happy and blessed Friday.

3 comments:

Karen H. said...

Good Morning LeeAnn,
"HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY" to Sam. I'm glad yall had a wonderful evening with your friend. She sounds really nice. It is cold here this morning also. Not as cold as it has been a being, but still cold for me. LOL. How are the Babies doing? Have they got to come home yet? I can't help you right now on being the Mother-In-Law situation. I do hope it will be a few years before that happens to me. I feel like I can talk to my Mother-In-Law more openly than I can my own Mom. I guess my Mom is more old-fashion and my Mother-In-Law is more of an open person. Does that make any sense? My DH has told me seveal times that his Mother has told everyone that she sees and spends more time with me and our girls than she does her own Daughters. Both of her Daughters work, so that could by why. Maybe your Daughter-In-Law will come to realize that she will need you as time goes on. I know you miss having those talks with your Son's. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Karen H. said...

Good Evening LeeAnn,
I'm just dropping by to see how everyone is doing. I hope the Twins are still growing and able to drink on their own now. I also hope they are gaining some weight. It has warmed up here today. It got up to 70 degrees. I had to turn my A/C on. LOL. For the last 2 weeks all I did was freeze. Today I got up and was burning up. LOL. Take care my friend and have a great evening. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Karen H. said...

Good Morning LeeAnn,
I'm just dropping by again to let you know that when you had time to stop by. I have something for you no my today's post. Hope all is going well for everyone there. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.