Monday, January 7, 2008

Stormy weather

I just mentioned to Karen over at Karen's Korner that I saw where they were having storms in her neck of the woods. I told her that tornadoes are very frightening to me and I used to have nightmares about them. They started when my mom was diagnosed with cancer in 1990 (stress does weird things) and there was a certain order to them. I averaged about one a month. They would start out with me being in a place and there were storm warnings and a threat of tornadoes but no immediate danger. Well, as the years went on, the dreams got scarier until finally I was in a building, laying on the floor and a tornado hit the building and I slid across the floor, but I did survive. I never had one after that. The end of my nightmares coincided with the end of my mother's life. Isn't that strange but beautiful, in a way?

My baby granddaughters may be released from the hospital as I type this. The kids were told Saturday that today might be the day and of course, they are both petrified. Babies will go home on monitors and with meds to treat reflux and something else, I don't recall what. I am grateful that daughter-in-law has had this past month to recuperate from the c-section because she will need all the strength she can muster for this next phase. I will go down there from time to time to help out as time allows until she can get a routine going and handle things on her own. My son will have a short break from seminary next week so he can help her out. Bless their hearts.

Sam and I went to a visitation tonight at a local funeral home. The man that died was our church's pianist's husband. They just celebrated 51 years of marriage. He was diagnosed with cancer only a few months ago and it took him so quickly. As we were standing in line waiting to pay our respects, I was watching people (my favorite pastime) and mentioned to Sam that there are certain types of folks that seem to really love going to funerals and visitations. You see them searching the room with expectant looks on their faces, hoping to see an old school mate or a friend, and then they wave and slap each other on the back or hug each other with such delight. I wonder if maybe they are just so glad to be alive that it makes them giddy. I just wonder about things like that, don't you?

We came home and ate a late supper of tacos so we're staying up a little later than normal to let them settle in our tummies.

Sweet dreams to you all.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Well wishes to your son, DIL, and your sweet grandbabies! It'll be all new to them but they'll soon get the hang of it and will be old pros before they know it.

Thank you so much for dropping by to visit my blog Miz Leeann.

Karen H. said...

Good Afternoon LeeAnn,
I am back for now. I have no clue as to how and why, but "PRAISE GOD" I am. I am taking advantage of it right now and trying to catch up with everyone. I have been offline for a couple of days. "THANK YOU" for the Link Love. You are a sweetheart and I so enjoy visiting you. It is a beautiful story about your Mother and how you survived the Tornado. I know you miss her tho. I do hope that the Grandbabies will get to come home. It will be a big adjustment for your Son and DIL. It will take some getting used to and they will eventually get a schedule set. We didn't have anything Severe here, but it was all around us tho. I know what you mean about how people act when they go to a visitation. I've seen and watched people before. I have no clue as to why they act that way, but they do. It could be their way of "Coping" with the death or something. I am sorry about the loss of your Church's Pianist' Husband. At least he is with "OUR FATHER" and not having to suffer. I hope to be able to do a post in the morning. I am glad you are blogging. I really enjoy visiting you. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Karen H. said...

Good Morning LeeAnn,
"PRAISE GOD" the Babies are home now. I will continue to pray that they will continue to improve while they are in their own environment. Most of the times, Babies will do that. I know you are looking forward to holding and loving on them. I wanted to let you know that when you had time to stop by. I have something for you on my today's post. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours. Since I posted this morning, it has started raining again. Looks like it's going to be a dreary day and a good lazy day for me. LOL.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.