Sunday, February 3, 2008

I'm back

I wasn't sure if I would get back in the groove of posting or not, but I have missed it.

Nothing major had happened in my life up until this past Monday (more on that shortly) but I just had so much going on with everyday life that I had no energy left for sharing my thoughts. I did miss this, though. As far as my beautiful granddaughters, they are doing well. I stayed with my kids to help out week before last and had some wonderful bonding time with the babies. They are still on monitors but I am hoping they are taken off of those this week. I don't really think they are needed now and I fear that my son and daughter-in-law have become somewhat dependent on them. The babies are almost 7 and 8 lbs. respectively and will be two months old tomorrow and even if the monitors went off, it was a technical problem and not a medical one. Besides, when this grandma stayed there and took the "night shift", I would not drift off to sleep because I was so fearful that the danged monitor would go off and I wouldn't hear it. So....the first night I was there, I was up all night and didn't go to sleep until 6:30 a.m. then got up at 10. That wasn't fun. I was pretty punchy by the next night and I did get to sleep somewhat well. At any rate, they are growing and adorable and I love them so much.

After that week, hubby and I found a house and piece of property that we really liked. It has 4 acres and a house built in 1950 with beautiful hardwood floors and a fireplace (a requirement for me) and a PERFECT spot for a hot tub some day. (wink wink) We decided to throw caution to the wind and see about getting it. Well, lo and behold, we made an offer, it was accepted, and we will sign the loan papers tomorrow (we are pre-approved). I won't get too excited until it's all said and done because sometimes I put the cart before the horse. But for now, we think it will be ours. It's surrounded by mountains and there are hills with cows grazing right next to our place, which is one of the loveliest sights in the world to me. It will be fun to renovate the outdated bathrooms and kitchen and to make it ours. And there is a huge spot for a garden.

Okay, now back to Monday and the major thing that happened. I took my little dog to be groomed. That night, when I got home, I noticed she was breathing hard and had a disturbing cough which sounded to me like a heart problem. I took her to the vet. Tuesday and it was discovered that she had a grossly enlarged heart with lots of fluid retention. She was put on 4 different types of medication and I was told that we would know in a few days if it would work or not. By Thursday morning, it was clear to me that she was suffering. She couldn't lay her head down to sleep because it would obstruct her breathing and she was so tired. I loved her too much to let her suffer and I made the agonizing decision to have her put to sleep. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. I have had her since she was born and I loved her more than I can measure. She was my little shadow and my friend.

We chose to have her cremated and Sam will bury her little ashes at our farm, on a hill. I would rather have buried her without cremating her but I couldn't go off and leave her buried at this rental house and I couldn't wait another month until we move to keep her body frozen, so this was the best option for us.

Please pray for Sam and me as we are deeply grieving. Our house is so empty now and my fingers ache to stroke her again.

3 comments:

Karen H. said...

Good Evening LeeAnn,
"WELCOME BACK"!!!! I have so missed you and having coffee with you sometimes of the early mornings. "PRAISE GOD" the girls are doing alot better. I know what you mean about not wanting to go to sleep and not being able to hear them if they woke up. I remember when our oldest daughter was born, when we first brought her home, I was so scared. I don't think I slept much that first night either. When my DH would get up to go to the bathroom I would be awake and I would ask him if she was okay. He would go look at her and said she was sleeping. The first time she slept thru the whole night, and when I woke up the next morning, I was so scared to go look in her crib. But she was just fine. It just takes a while to get used to all the baby doings. Oh LeeAnn, I'm so excited about your new house. I do pray that everything will be finalized soon and the house will be yalls. It all sounds so beautiful and relaxing where you will be moving to. I'm so sorry about your little dog having to be put to sleep. I just hate to hear that. At least she isn't having to suffer anymore tho. I know it must be hard on you now not having her around. I don't blame you for not wanting to bury her at the rental house. I would have done the same thing as you did and just wait. That way she will be at home with you and Sam. I will surely be praying for you and Sam as you both are grieving. Animals are just like kids to people. We don't have any pets here, but I have had them in the past, and I know how hard it is to lose one. I am just so glad that you are back and I will be checking in with you everyday to see if you have posted or not. I do understand you not wanting or being able to post. Just know that you and Sam are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care my friend and have a great evening. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Patti said...

i am so sorry to hear about your baby. i understand completely your grief and the doggie shaped hole in your heart. i pray you peace. having gone through this once before, i know that we will feel better one day but that we will never be the same. thank god we had our pups...love like no other.

Karen H. said...

Good Evening LeeAnn,
I'm just dropping by to check on you and Sam. I hope you had a better day today and that things are getting a litte better for the both of you. I know this is such a hard time, so to let you know, I am still praying for the both of you. Have you heard anything on the house yet? I am just so excited about it for you. I have been down in the dumps today and haven't had the will power to do a post. Take care my friend and have a great evening. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.