Sunday, February 17, 2008

Roast beef Sunday

Did y'all typically have roast beef on Sundays growing up? We did and although I don't adhere to the tradition as much as my mom did, it's still a good thing and a comfort. I have a feeling my mom would have enjoyed utilizing a crock pot as much as I do but to be honest, mine never tastes as good as hers did. My mother wasn't the best cook in the world - not because she didn't do what she did well but because she wasn't adventurous at all in the kitchen. Making spaghetti once a month was quite the culinary adventure for her and we always had the same odd side dishes to go with it....cole slaw and crackers. My normal friends' moms' had salad and garlic bread with theirs but not mine. But you know what? You should try it....it works. Trust me. Anyway, my dad was a very good cook and actually liked to cook with onions, garlic, and spices, to some degree. He was a cook in the Army and went to some kind of cooking school during his time there. He was very proud of his service, as well he should be, and was particularly proud of his skill for choosing the best meat - anytime, anywhere. He often critiqued meals that he ate away from home and claimed that although the Outback had "pretty good steaks", they didn't meet his high standards. I loved my parents and their eccentricities. I miss them both terribly.

It's been a cloudy, windy, gray day here in the mountains. My kind of Sunday! I don't look forward to going to work this week but thankfully, I work part time and that suits me just fine. I can contribute to our household and still have my housewife time, which I treasure. We are so looking forward to moving to our new house soon and making it ours. This is an answer to many long years of prayer for us. We've always wanted to live in the country and now we will. God is so good. I look forward to seeing what kinds of animals we might see out there. I'm secretly hoping for a bear or two....from a distance, mind you. But then again, maybe not. Well, maybe one that I can only see through binoculars.

I hope you all sleep tight and have peaceful dreams. I'm off to get ready for my week.

7 comments:

Karen H. said...

Good Morning LeeAnn,
"HAPPY PRESIDENT'S DAY"!!!! I've never had slaw with my Sphagetti either. We are not big slaw eaters here. I do love Roast Beef too. When I cook one, I put mine in the Slow Cooker with my potatoes and carrots and onions and let it cook all night. It's so good and tender and just falls apart. Me and the girls just had Turkey Sandwiches last night with some chips and dips. Your Dad should be very proud of his Service as a cook. I have an Uncle that cooked in one of the branches years ago as well. Before his wife died a few weeks ago, he cooked all the time for them. Yesterday was party to mostly cloudy here. It was raining when I took my DH to his truck and it was 55 degrees. By late afternoon, the winds shifted out of the North and it got colder. It is 32 degrees as I'm typing this right now. I'm so excited about your moving to your new house. "PRAISE GOD" for answered prayers. I hope your back is feeling better this week. YOu know, sometimes I wouldn't mind having a part-time job to help out, but my DH tells me I have a full time job by taking care of the girls and paying bills and doing what he needs to have done, so I guess he is right about that. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Karen H. said...

Good Morning LeeAnn,
Just dropping by to check on you and see how you are doing. Hope things are going well for you so far this week. Hope things are going good on the house also. We are suppose to start getting some freezing rain tonight and tomorrow. I just hope it doesn't get too bad. I have re-done my blog, so when you stop by, don't panic. LOL. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Karen H. said...

Good Morning LeeAnn,
I just thought I would drop by and see how things are going with you. I have been in bed most of the weekend with my monthly thingy. I am feeling fairly good for now. I didn't visit much over the weekend and I thought while I was feeling okay, I would put up a new post and visit everyone. I had to get my DH us at 4:00a.m. so he could get ready to leave out at 5:00a.m. He has done gone and I sure miss him already. He has helped me out alot over the weekend while he was here. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Karen H. said...

Good Morning LeeAnn,
I'ts me again dropping by to see how you are doing. I hope things are going well for you and you are having a wonderful week so far. How's things going with the new house? Have you signed the papers on it yet? I sure hope you have and you can start moving in it real soon. Just know that I am thinking of you and have been missing you. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Denise said...

Yummy in my tummy, I love roast beef. My momma was such a great cook, I loved her roast beef, and fried chicken. She passed away in April of 2006, I sure do miss her. Sweet blessings to you.

Love Bears All Things said...

I've lost my parents, also. Mama in 2005 and Daddy in 2006 just four16 months apart. Some days I miss them so very much.
Mama Bear

Grandy said...

Can't say as I've ever tried coleslaw & crackers with my spaghetti. But whatever I make just doesn't seem as good as Mom's. I get that!!