Sunday, March 9, 2008

my weekend

I will forewarn you that I've had 3 glasses of wine to drink. Does that give you an indication of my weekend?

First of all, the baby girls are beautiful and healthy and it was pure joy to hold them and love on them. They looked like tiny angels in their christening gowns and were very well behaved when they got baptized this morning.

Now, here is the deal. Does anyone out there have issues with their child's in-laws? I sure hope so because I need some help with this particular area of my life. Here is a little bit of background: son's father-in-law is a doctor. Wife is an atypical doctor's wife. She isn't snobbish but basically doesn't pay much attention to me or Sam unless there is a crowd of people around. It's a public show of affection and appears to us to be very artificial. Well, the father-in-law has been very ill with the flu and we didnt' think he would be able to make it for the baptism. He did and we were glad for that because it would have been a disappointment for him to have missed that. Afterwards, we all met at son's house for lunch. Father-in-law, who has a BAD cough, is asked by his wife to carve the ham. The man is coughing into his hands which are then placed on said ham and he starts sawing away at this ham, all the while coughing and/or licking his fingers between slices. Sam notices and calls me aside to warn me not to eat said ham. I agree.

The in-laws are a large group. Daughter-in-law has 3 siblings and her grandparents are still living and they were all there today. There was only me, Sam, and our dear friend who is close to both sides of the family and she sort of acts like a buffer between the two. In-laws keep to themselves and entertain each other with stories and jokes and we are excluded. I got a huge lump in my throat at one point because I started wondering about my granddaughters and thought - "what if they want to be around that side of the family more than us because they are more boisterous and still have teenage kids at home to entertain them"? See where I'm going with this? I realize I am showing you my vulnerabilities here but I have to be honest. I feel jealous of so many things....the other grandma's sewing abilities, their affluence and ability to buy anything anyone in their family desires, etc. You may wonder why I feel so strongly about all of this. Well, I'll tell you. One of daughter-in-law's sisters made a comment about a month ago in front of Sam and me to her sister, our DIL. She said, "Please don't teach the girls to speak with a Southern accent or a twang." It really hurt my feelings and I wish I had spoken up then but I didn't. Their kids were born in Tennessee but the parents are from Ohio and don't have southern accents nor do any of the kids. I truly believe that they equate a southern accent with ignorance. Anyway, the other thing is that this morning, one of these sisters was overheard saying about my Sam - "He's wearing the same tie he wore to wedding". Now this was our son's wedding to their sister which was over a year ago. I was thinking..."how do you remember and why do you care?" It just shows that there is an underlying animosity there and for the life of me, I don't know where it came from. Sam and I are easy to get along with and had a sincere desire to be close to this family but they basically shun us. I don't say anything to our son because I don't want him to be caught in the middle but it's very hurtful.

I'm sorry to unload but that is what's weighing on my mind tonight. I would appreciate any feedback on this and especially if any of you share similar experiences.

I hope you have a restful night and I thank you for listening to me whine yet once again.

Leeann

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Leeann, sometimes I feel much the same as you. An outsider in my husbands family. Over the years I have just come to believe that I do the best that I can, with what God has given me.

As far as a southern accent, I love it. Sounds so different from what I am used to hearing, so soft and comforting.

God bless.

Denise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Denise said...

Sweetie, please do not let these people, or anyone make you feel inferior. You are a daughter of the King, that makes you a beautiful princess with a lovely southern accent. God loves you just the way you are, never forget that.

Karen H. said...

Good Morning LeeAnn,
"PRAISE GOD" the girls are doing so well. I'm so glad you got to love on them this weekend as well. Wow, I can't believe some people can be so cruel, but they can. My In-Laws are pretty much down to Earth people and are Christians. I have always gotten along really well with my In-Laws. Sometimes I do tend to think that my MIL loves her 4 Grandson's more than she does our 2 girls. But it's just probably the devil trying to take over tho. I do know that my MIL has told several people that me and the girls spend more time with her than her 2 daughters and their kids. So that makes me feel better. Don't let those people bring you down. I don't know if they are Christian's or not, but if they aren't, then they will have to pay for their wrongdoings when our KING returns. YOU ARE A CHILD OF THE KING AND DON'T YOU EVER FORGET THAT. You just be you and don't compare yourself to such rude people. You are far more better than them. All you can do is pray for people like that and hope they will change someday. There is nothing wrong with a Southern accent. To me, Southern people are more friendly than some of the Northerners. I hope that doesn't offend anyone as I wasn't trying to do that. But there is just something about Southern Hospitality that is more comforting. I'm sure when the twins get older and can see the true colors of their other side of the Family, they will want to be like you and Sam. Sounds like they are all a bunch of high-falootin people and you know how those people can be. You can cry on my shoulder anytime you want to my friend. That's what real FRIENDS are for. I hate that you and Sam had to experience all of that on what was suppose to be a day for the twins. I hope this has helped you some. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Love Bears All Things said...

I actually typed something in my comment about this last week and deleted it. I was afraid this might happen.
My son and his family live in Maryland as does my DIL's family. In the early years, whatever celebrations(christening, birthdays,etc.)that took place always included inlaws. That was to be expected. We didn't visit often because of distance and felt a little out of the loop at these functions. I have always gotten along with my DIL's Mom, actually better than with her. It seemed that whenever there was tension between my son and his wife and we visited, she would let it affect the way she treated us. I have tried to treat her like a daughter but we'll never be as close as I would like. I just try to stay out of their life as much as possible.
I'm sorry you had this bad experience. Hopefully you'll have opportunities with your granddaughters that do not include these people.
Mama Bear

Hope said...

Hi Leeann,
I'm trying to catch up with everybody tonight..I'm behind!!

My ex was from a big family in DC that had once been rich. He had a sister who tried to live as though she was still rich and acted snobby toward me. She would talk it up to me when my ex was around but when he left the room she completely ignored me and wouldn't talk. She even talked behind my back to other members of the family and told them bad things that weren't true about me. We never worked any of this out but we moved back home to the hills of VA!! I'm right on the TN border and I'm proud to be a Hillbilly!

You and your husband sound rich to me! You love each other and you're moving to your own little corner of heaven!! You seem to be a very intelligent lady and you have a lot to offer your grandchildren..things they probably won't get from that side of the family. I agree with Mama Bear about getting time with them alone. They will come to know and love you.

It's hard to write everything here but I hope you get the gist of what I'm trying to say! :o)

Big ((((Hugs)))),
Hope

Loretta said...

I went through something like this with my son's first wife's family. I couldn't help but feel they thought they were better than hubby and i. But, time went by and stuff happened that showed what was what. Goodness will always win.